Mythic Odysseys of Theros

This forum is for general talk about D&D, not related to a specific campaign.
Joe

Mythic Odysseys of Theros

Post by Joe » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:07 am

I don't know if anyone else has had a chance to look at the new source/campaign book, but It's definitely my favorite of any of the campaign setting style books they've released. It really nails the Mythical Ancient Greece vibe, so you could do a Hercules/Xena or a Illiad/Odyssey. The magic items are cool, and I feel like if we had the Bard Subclass for the North campaign, it would have been right up Barnabas' alley. You could take the new Paladin subclass to make an Achilles, Hector, or Hercules (though you might still want Barbarian for Hercules)

Apparently it was originally a Magic: The Gathering creation, but unlike Ravnica it's not weighed down with all the weird science / steampunk stuff. It could probably drop a lot of the books content right onto a psuedo-historical Greece (predominantly for player familiarity with setting specifics - i.e. the names and domains of the gods, places of note, etc.)

Anywho, I really like it, and since there's the campaign sharing stuff enabled, you should be able to flip through the book if you don't have a hard or virtual copy already.

quasadu
Site Admin

Re: Mythic Odysseys of Theros

Post by quasadu » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:05 pm

I have it and I really like what I see so far. I am thinking about adapting the piety rules for House Wolfram.

Joe

Re: Mythic Odysseys of Theros

Post by Joe » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:38 pm

I liked pretty much everything until I got to the monsters - I think the Returned are off-theme, and the Nyx are kind of a weird mishmash, but all the pieces to replace them with Orpheus pursuing Eurydice are readily available.

I think the Piety adaptation would be cool, especially for the faithful among us given how that has been such a fulcrum for the adventures.